a: Well this one is a two parter:
Part one - Disable People Widget:
- Within Gmail go to settings
- On the General Tab, scroll down to People Widget and set it to (X) Hide the people widget
- However, you'll notice it's sidebar is still there.
Part two - Disable/Hide the sidebar (only works for Google Chrome)
- Open Chrome, visit the extension site for Minimalist:
- Click (+ Add to Chrome) / Click Install when prompted
- Visit your google mail site
- Click on the M icon in the toolbar in the upper right / Click Dashboard
- Under Minimalist for Gmail / Click Enable / Then click Options
- On the "Main" tab at the top, Check the box next to "Hide Sidebar"
- Click Save Changes at the Top Right
- Open an email now & notice all the screen real estate you have gained.