Solution: We were able to track down the password file the folder was using. But we couldn't figure out how to encrypt a new password.
We discovered htpasswd on the FreeBSD Server. We putty'd into the box, then ran htpasswd four times using each encryption method below. Then copy/pasted that value into the password file next to the username until we could authenticate to the site. We tested with the follow switches.
- -n = simply display the output (don't create a file)
- -b = use the password from the command line
- htpasswd -nb apacheuser topsecretpassword
- htpasswd -nmb apacheuser topsecretpassword - "Force MD5 encryption"
- htpasswd -nsb apacheuser topsecretpassword - "Force SHA encryption"
- htpasswd -ndb apacheuser topsecretpassword- Uses Crypt